[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Fri, 07 Dec 2001 10:33:51 +0200
As long as we are exchanging more-or-less random thoughts about this
issue, let me raise a few more ;-)
- What will we do with packages which aren't distributed with
Emacs? Do we require them to come with their own separate message
catalogs? If so, we need to figure out where to install them, and
how would Emacs find and load them.
- For that matter, will every one of the *.el files in the standard
distribution have its own catalog, or do we go with a single huge
one for the entire Emacs?
- What happens when a package is loaded or autoloaded? How will its
catalog be read and added to the data base? (Am I even talking
- What encoding will we use in the catalogs? Do we use emacs-mule
(or the future Unicode-based internal representation), or do we
use one of the external encodings (a.k.a. coding systems)?
- Some complications will raise their ugly heads because Emacs itself
takes care of the display of non-ASCII characters (as opposed to
what a typical NLS-enabled console application does). This affects
the encoding in which the translated messages are delivered to
Emacs. Issues like character composition etc. in Far-Eastern
languages is one example, but even the Latin-1 vs Latin-9 encoding
could in some situations render the whole message unreadable
(e.g., due to the lack of a Latin-9 font). Bidirectional support,
when available, will add another complication: Emacs will want the
translated messages in logical order, whereas most, if not all,
message catalogs for these languages use the visual order.
This is even more complicated by the -batch operation, where the
display engine is not used, and Emacs simply writes strings to the
screen as a text-mode application.
- We need to think about some machinery to take care of too-long
translated strings which overflow fixed resources. For example,
the menu bar has to fit into a fixed-width field.
Well, I guess this is enough random thoughts for one day ;-)
Comments are welcome.
- Re: i18n/gettext?, Pavel Janík, 2001/12/03
- Re: i18n/gettext?, Karl Eichwalder, 2001/12/04
- Re: i18n/gettext?, Richard Stallman, 2001/12/04
- Re: i18n/gettext?, François Pinard, 2001/12/05
- Re: i18n/gettext?, Richard Stallman, 2001/12/06
- Re: i18n/gettext?,
Eli Zaretskii <=
- Re: i18n/gettext?, Paul Eggert, 2001/12/07
- Re: i18n/gettext?, Eli Zaretskii, 2001/12/08
- Re: i18n/gettext?, Paul Eggert, 2001/12/08
- Re: i18n/gettext?, Eli Zaretskii, 2001/12/09
- Re: i18n/gettext?, Richard Stallman, 2001/12/09
- Re: i18n/gettext?, Paul Eggert, 2001/12/10
- Re: i18n/gettext?, Karl Eichwalder, 2001/12/11
- Re: i18n/gettext?, Richard Stallman, 2001/12/11
- Re: i18n/gettext?, Eli Zaretskii, 2001/12/11
- Re: i18n/gettext?, Dave Love, 2001/12/11