Re: i18n/gettext?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: i18n/gettext?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 19:07:12 +0200

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 17:22:09 +0100
>
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 01:07:51 -0800 (PST), Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I'd be surprised if it's much more than 1 MB per translation
> > file, for all of Emacs.
>
> Are you talking about 1 MB of text to translate? That's a medium-sized
> book, for example "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (about 500-600
> pages).

And I'd actually expect the Emacs .pot file to be significantly
larger than 1MB.  Given that gcc's .pot file is about 300KB, I'd be
surprised if Emacs had only 3 times that much messages in it.  The
doc strings alone are much more than that: etc/DOC is 1.4MB, and that
only includes built-in and preloaded packages, which is a small
fraction of the whole stuff.

So I'd say 10MB is probably a closer figure.

Actually, it is probably not too hard to write a script which will
report the total size of all the doc strings and maybe also other
strings in all the *.el files, so we don't need to guess how large
that would be.