Re: Load average of 0

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: Load average of 0
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 07:51:40 +0100

   From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
   Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:49:34 -0700 (MST)

   >     I haven't found anything on this issue in emacs-devel.mbox (even
before my
   >     original mail), can you please tell me the original author of this? I'd
   >     like to convince her/him that this can be really annoying.
   >
   > Sorry, what is the issue here?  What behavior are you complaining
   > about?

--- cut here ---
In the previous months I have sometimes seen a very unfriendly behaviour of
mode-line. It seemed to me, that something silently disappeared from the
mode-line. So the left part of the mode-line after that action was at the
same place and the right part of the mode-line moved to the left (because
something disappeared).

Today, I have played with load-average (display-time) and finally found
it. It is load-average. When it is 0, it is removed from the mode-line. Do
you think it is good? Normal load-average is displayed as `0.80' ie. four
characters. When the load-average is zero, these four characters are
removed from the mode-line along with the preceding space so the right part
of the mode-line is moved by 5 characters. I found it distracting. When it
happened in the past, I always thought about the reason...
--- cut here ---

I think it is better to display "0.00" in that case. And maybe even better
is to use "    " (ie. spaces). I do not have strong opinion here
yet. I have to try both (which I will do soon).
--
Pavel Janík

Identify bad input; recover if possible.
                  --  The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)