Re: Emacs and UTF-8 locale

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Emacs and UTF-8 locale
Date: 21 Dec 2001 15:33:49 +0000

 > I think the decision to leave it disabled in v21.1 was correct,
 > since the application code, written by Dave, to make that support
 > reasonably complete was only recently added to the CVS tree.

I don't know what that means.  The trivial utf-8 language environment
I offered could easily have been installed to fix the bug of not
honouring the locale.  The only way I've significantly improved the
support of utf-8 encoding recently is by additions to characters.el
and providing experimental level 2 support for some scripts.  I don't
think that's too important.

 > The changes for which this addition is useful are installed only on
 > the development trunk,

What changes?  I don't know why it would have been any different in
21.1, which is what I'm basically using anyhow, and on which I've
tested things.  [To use nl_langinfo, I added a single function and
changed `locale-name' to `(or locale-name (locale-codeset))'  once.]

 > Without those Dave's additions, turning on the UTF support by
 > default would screw users.

I don't know why, and I'm the only one who tested it as far as I know.

 > I believe some of those who tried to do that with stock Emacs 21.1
 > complained about problems on gnu.emacs.bug,

I don't know what that refers to, so any such problems probably
haven't been addressed by anything I've done.

 > the same kind of problems whose anticipation was the reason for
 > leaving UTF disabled in the last release.

I can address actual test cases.  I'm running a 21.1-based Emacs so I
can't necessarily reproduce problems, but I might well be able to spot
causes.  All I've heard is vague suggestions of problems and
statements about what I've implemented that are wrong by
demonstration.