Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 21:56:33 -0700 (MST)

    > So, in file_name_completion also, instead of encoding FILE,
    > we should decode each filenames in the directory by
    > file-name-coding-system, and use Fstring_compare.

    I agree.  Richard, if you agree as well, I will make the changes in
    dired.c to decode the files we get from readdir and work on multibyte
    strings throughout.

The idea is fine in principle as long as it leads to no problems in
practice.  I'm concerned that this might lead to a substantial
slowdown.  Please check that before you install the code.