Re: df is called even if dired-free-space-program is nil ...

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: df is called even if dired-free-space-program is nil ...
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 12:14:40 -0700 (MST)

I wrote:

        As another aside, I see that you've changed insert-directory to say
        "used NNNN" instead of "total NNNN".  I think the ``used'' part could
        confuse someone into thinking that it refers to the entire filesystem,
        rather than just to the sum total of the sizes of the files that are
        displayed by Dired.

    Maybe, but "total" is not really clear in this context either.
    Total of what?

I don't think "total" is better than "used", but I agree it is not
ideal.  Can people suggest other alternatives?