Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 10:20:50 +0900 (JST)

address@hidden (Niels Möller) writes:
> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>>  But, FILE arg of
>>  file_name_completion may contain multibyte characters that
>>  can't be encoded by file-name-coding-system.  In that case,
>>  ENCODE_FILE produces inproper unibyte string that will match
>>  with a filename incorrectly.

> But in that case, can there be any properly matching files in the
> filesystem? Perhaps file_name_completion can check if encoding of FILE
> was unsuccessful, and fail early?

Ah, yes, that is a good idea.  In C code, we can use
Ffind_coding_systems_region to get a list of coding systems
that can encode FILE.

If `base coding system' of file-name-coding-system is not
included in the returned list, we can return nil.

Otherwise, we can use the current method.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden