Re: Status of my GTK efforts.

From: Andrew Choi
Subject: Re: Status of my GTK efforts.
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 10:34:30 +0800 (HKT)

> There is one way in which the GTK-based alternative code could be a
> good thing to install: if on some other system (perhaps Windows,
> perhaps the Mac) we could drop native support and support only
> GTK-based operation.  Then the GTK-based alternative code could
> replace the native code for that platform.
>
> I don't know whether this is a reasonable thing to do on Windows or
> on the Mac.  Can anyone say?

AFAIK, the only version of GTK+ that currently works on the Mac (OS X)
does not run natively, but on top of the X Window system which can run
along side the Mac Quartz GUI system and share the same root window.
This results in a less than desirable user interface (Quartz and
X-Window applications have their own sets of behaviors).  There is a
project on SourceForge to port GTK+ to run natively on Quartz but
there doesn't seem to be any downloadable code yet.