Re: Status of my GTK efforts.

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Status of my GTK efforts.
Date: 27 Dec 2001 18:59:40 +0000

> There is one way in which the GTK-based alternative code could be a
> good thing to install: if on some other system (perhaps Windows,
> perhaps the Mac) we could drop native support and support only
> GTK-based operation.  Then the GTK-based alternative code could
> replace the native code for that platform.
>
> I don't know whether this is a reasonable thing to do on Windows
> or on the Mac.  Can anyone say?

I doubt it. The only GTK based program I have seen on Windows is the
Gimp, and my impression (compared to the same program on a GNU/Linux
system) was that it was buggy and painfully slow. Of course, it may
not be the GTK toolkit that is at fault there, but I suspect that it is,
since that is where most of the porting effort seems to have gone.

Maybe one day GTK can replace platform specific display code, but I
do not think that is the case yet.

--
Jason Rumney