Re: table.el and GNU Emacs integration?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: table.el and GNU Emacs integration?
Date: 27 Jan 2002 23:34:20 +0100

> The wrappers would have a major advantage compared with advice: it
> would be visible in the original function definition that it uses
> wrappers.
>
> The policy of avoiding use of advice in standard Emacs packages is not
> a matter of esthetics.  It exists for important practical reasons.
> We should fix this not to use advice, before installing it.

I'm currently working on adding the remapping of interactive commands
via (minor-mode) keymaps, and is progressing well (e.g. you can remap
kill-line to table-kill-line, so when you enter C-k, it will run
table-kill-line).  I expect to install the changes in CVS in a few
days.

This is very similar (in effect) to advice, but it has the advantage
of being separate functions [with their own names, e.g. table-kill-line]
which (may) call the original function (or do something completely
different).

So maybe table.el could use command remapping instead of advice (or
wrappers).