Re: Questions round session management.

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Questions round session management.
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:22:10 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Tak Ota wrote:

> > To try to save the entire Lisp environment would be inconvenient for
> > the user.
>
> That is true if emacs has to spend long time to dump for this purpose.
> However, loosing all those live sessions including shell, mail, news,
> ange-ftp and so on is also inconvenient.  Especially ange-ftp does its
> job so well that there is little distinction between local file and
> remote file via ange-ftp.  It may be confusing to some users that one
> survives and the others don't.

What would it take to make `emacs-dump' work in non-batch mode?   Even if
it would take a few seconds to dump emacs when closing the session,
getting back your old Emacs when you start the session again would make
that up, at least for me.  I can see that network connections, including
X11, probably needs some thinking.