Re: build from CVS

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: build from CVS
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 05:48:24 -0700 (MST)

     > `all' depends on `maybe-bootstrap' which seems to do
     > the right thing.

    I'm not sure this is correct.

What is the reason for your doubts?

    My experience was that I recently did a `cvs update' followed by `make
    all' hoping to see the (way cool) Show/Hide menu feature and the
    resultant build did not work as I expected --- there was no Show/Hide
    menu item).  However, when I did `make bootstrap' and then `make all'
    I got the new feature in the resultant build.

I don't see a bug there.  `make all' is never supposed to do a
bootstrap on its own, only suggest that option if it appears
necessary.