Re: image descriptors and defimage with :data

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: image descriptors and defimage with :data
Date: 10 Feb 2002 13:53:43 +0000

Nic said:
     Emacs 21 manual says that defimage must have at least the following
     properties in the props list:

rms replied:
> Where does it say that?  Here is the text I see:
>
>     Each argument in @var{specs} has the form of a property list, and each
>     one should specify at least the @code{:type} property and either the
>     @code{:file} or the @code{:data} property.  The value of @code{:type}
>     should be a symbol specifying the image type, the value of
>     @code{:file} is the file to load the image from, and the value of
>     @code{:data} is a string containing the actual image data.  Here is an
>     example:
>
> However, judging from the previous node in the manual, I think that
> :data is not supported yet for image type JPEG.  If so, we would like
> to support it; would you like to try to implement it?

The function documentation string for defimage says this:

    Each image specification in SPECS is a property list.  The contents of
    a specification are image type dependent.  All specifications must at
    least contain the properties `:type TYPE' and either `:file FILE' or
    `:data DATA', where TYPE is a symbol specifying the image type,
    e.g. `xbm', FILE is the file to load the image from, and DATA is a
    string containing the actual image data.  The first image
    specification whose TYPE is supported, and FILE exists, is used to
    define SYMBOL.

I am trying to narrow the problem down so that I can either patch it
or give a better report.

Nic