Re: Shall menu_bar_items and tool_bar_items look at text property keymap

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Shall menu_bar_items and tool_bar_items look at text property keymaps?
Date: 14 Feb 2002 09:57:29 +0100

>     I was looking at the above functions and wondered whether it really
>     makes sense for those functions to look for menu-bar and tool-bar
>     bindings in the keymap and local-map properties of PT in the current
>     buffer?
>
> This could cause a substantial slowdown if it means that Emacs
> has to recompute the menus based on the current value of point.
> The usefulness of the feature seems marginal, which suggests it
> is better not to pay that price, better not to add that feature.

I asked the question because those functions already DO LOOK for
those bindings - but the rest of emacs doesn't call those functions
often enough for the functionality to work anyway.

Since it doesn't really work, I doubt anyone is actually using it.

So my proposal is to remove the "look for keymaps at PT" from those
functions.

++kfs