Re: mailabbrev.el, mailalias.el and related package.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: mailabbrev.el, mailalias.el and related package.
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:18:42 -0600 (CST)

Dear Karl,

The problem is not a local configuration error on your side.
This was not a problem in the original mailabbrev, but a new problem
occurring in changes instituted in mailabbrev.el after Emacs21.1.90,
changes made to take care of other problems that did occur in the old
mailabbrev.

When before applying Richard's change, something like:

address@hidden made gnu expand there were two problems involved:

"@" had the wrong syntax and "." had the wrong syntax.  (Richard actually
alluded to that second problem in his reply to you.)

Since @ was not considered a word constituent, the second gnu is a
valid mailabbrev.  However, . should nevertheless not expand mailabbrevs.

Now you apply Richard's patch, making @ a word constituent and type:

address@hidden

at this stage the "word" before point is address@hidden, which is not a valid
mailabbrev any more.

But then you go on and type:

address@hidden

You did not make "." a word constituent, so the word before point is
again gnu.  Since you did not fix anything for . ,it still expands
that mailabbrev.

You seem to suggest that the problem sometimes happens and sometimes
not.  That would make perfect sense, because it all seems to depend on
the syntax table you start out with.  (It actually should not depend
on that.)

When I have time to look deeper into it, I will double check this and
look at the technical details involved.

In any case my new package takes care of the problems that the changes
were intended to take care of without introducing this new problem.