Re: etags for C++

From: Tak Ota
Subject: Re: etags for C++
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:19:35 -0800 (PST)

Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:59:15 +0200 (IST): Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> What I meant was that _users_ on those systems might use these extensions
> less often than on Unix and GNU systems, since it's easier to get
> confused by cas-insensitive tools.  For example, try displaying such
> names in the Windows Explorer.

Yes, you are right in this regard.

I had a bad experience when using cvs on Windows platform.  One
directory contained two files with same name except their case.
Running "cvs co" overwrote one by the other.

BTW, what do you think about including .cc, .cpp and maybe .cxx also
to the example in the subject info page?

Also, how about adding a command to etags.el which generates a tag
file by running etags appropriately for the current buffer mode?

I did a little bit of research and found two incidents of having tag
file generation command in cperl-mode.el and idlwave.el.  I wonder
which is better that individual language package to support its own
tag file generation command or etag.el to provide general tag
generation command for many different languages.

Any opinion?

-Tak