Re: Cygwin build (was: Using GDB in NTEMACS)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Cygwin build (was: Using GDB in NTEMACS)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:55:59 +0200

> From: Jon Cast <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:30:17 -0600
>
> A quick interjection: I /am/ willing to work on a Cygwin build of
> Emacs, if that would be accepted here.

Sure, please go ahead.  I think a possibility to build Emacs as a
Cygwin application would be a terrific feature.

In case you didn't know, Emacs can be compiled with Cygwin today, but
as a MinGW application, not a Cygwin application.  See nt/INSTALL for
the gory details.

Also, from past discussions of this issue, it could be useful first to
discuss the best approach to this project.  There are trade-offs that
IMO need to be considered when you decide how much Windows-specific
code to keep in the Cygwin build, whether to use the ported Xlib or
the native Windows GUI, etc.