Re: mode-line-inactive and toggle-input-method

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: mode-line-inactive and toggle-input-method
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:24:21 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Al Petrofsky wrote:

> Why the inconsistency for minibuffer entry from the miniwindow?

IMHO, it's not an inconsistency from the user's point of view: the
minibuffer's main purpose is get input from the user, but conceptually
you are still in the same window and the same buffer.  Otherwise, you
couldn't evaluate buffer-specific variables with M-:, for example.

> I sometimes accidentally hit M-x twice in a row.  It would be useful
> to have immediate feedback that this has happened.

??? I don't follow: the first M-x gives you an immediate feedback,
since there's the "M-x" prompt.  The second one signals an error, also
a kind of ``immediate'' feedback ;-)

What am I missing?

> I seem to recall the original requester of this feature wanted to be
> able to tell which window was selected by glancing at the frame's
> mode-lines, rather than having to find the cursor.  If moving into the
> miniwindow doesn't change any of the mode-lines, then the feature
> fails to provide that functionality.

I think it depends on the precise definition of ``selected window''.
I doubt that many users are aware that going to the minibuffer
selects a different window.