Re: Non-blocking open-network-stream

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Non-blocking open-network-stream
Date: 01 Mar 2002 01:21:39 +0100

>     I think it would be much cleaner if (open-network-stream ... t) simply
>     returns nil if it doesn't support non-blocking connect.
> I think that is ok.  The program could immediately try a blocking
> connect if that is the right thing to do.

I have committed the changes to process.c which add the non-blocking
connect support to open-network-stream.

The next "project" in this area is to add Helmut's server sockets.
(do we have papers for that?)

However, I think it can be done via open-network-stream:

If the HOST argument is nil, a server socket is opened which
accepts connections.  The sentinel is called - with a newly
created process - whenever a connections is accepted.

There are some details to be worked out here, but we need to
discuss whether we should use this approach or the approach
suggested by Helmut.