Re: Weird frame/buffer interaction

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Weird frame/buffer interaction
Date: 01 Mar 2002 16:50:53 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> "Michael P. Broida" wrote:
> >
> >         I can grab the modebar [[right term?]] for a window and drag it
> >         downwards to compress the window or windows below it.
> >
> >         But here's what's weird::  SOMETIMES, it will compress several
> >         windows below the bar, but sometimes it will NOT compress more
> >         than one window.  It even varies within one editting session:
> >         in my current session (6 windows), it has changed "allowance"
> >         four times since I started writing this note (non-Emacs mail
> >         lient) and I can't figure out WHY.  The "rule" seems to change
> >         every 2-3 seconds!
>
> Please describe the precise details of the window configuration: what are
> the exact dimensions, in character rows and columns, of your Emacs frame,
> how many lines are in each window, and what is the order of the windows, top
> to bottom.
>
> In general, Emacs tries to make each window no smaller than a certain amount
> of line, but the effect of dragging should only depend on the current sizes
> of all the windows on the frame.  If it sounds like it depends on something
> else, please tell the details as mentioned above.

With latest CVS head (under X):

I just tried to create 6 windows on a frame (50x132) with
the sequence:
 C-x 2 C-x 2 C-x 2
 (click mouse in bottom window)
 C-x 2
 (make second window from the top larger by dragging its mode-line downwards)
 C-x 2

I then grabbed the mode-line of the topmost window with the mouse and
dragged downwards.  This makes all the windows smaller - until a
certain point where suddenly all windows are evenly sized over the
entire frame.

Very surprising (as I recall it, windows used to disappear when they
got too small, but I may be mistaken).

Depending on the sequence in which the windows are split, the "magic"
resizing of the windows seem to affect all or only some of the
windows.  So it is might be related to "parent/child" window
relationships?