Re: PO files and Emacs

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: PO files and Emacs
Date: 12 Mar 2002 16:53:36 +0100

Bruno Haible <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
> > However, I'm confused: should it be called po.el or po-mode.el?  Are we
> > talking about 2 different files here?
>
> We are talking about two different files. po.el does only the encoding
> recognition. It is suitable for viewing PO files and doesn't need a
> manual. Whereas po-mode.el is a major mode for editing (not just
> viewing) PO files. po-mode.el is and remains included in the GNU
> gettext package, because it is documented in the GNU gettext manual
> and needs some of the GNU gettext programs to be installed.

IMO, the commentary in the po.el file is *very* sparse, and it is hard
to see when this file is needed, and for what purpose...

Also, IMHO, the name 'po.el' doesn't suggest anything about this being
an "extract" of a larger po-mode.el.

  Maybe one of po-file.el, po-view.el, po-find.el, po-mule.el,
po-basic.el, or po-coding.el would be a better choice.

Should this go into lisp/textmodes/ or lisp/international/  ?