Re: Should invisible imply intangible?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Should invisible imply intangible?
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:24:10 +0200 (IST)

On 19 Mar 2002, David Kastrup wrote:

> As Stefan (or was it Miles?) has already remarked, the default
> display of cursors should preferably be such that an insertion of new
> characters will occur at the location where the cursor is visible.

Mostly unrelated to the current discussion, but I thought I'd raise that
anyway: the principle that insertion should happen at cursor location is
not carved in stone.  It will possibly not hold with bidirectional
editing: when typing bidirectional text, it sometimes makes sense to
insert characters not at the cursor (some editors do that).

So I think the possibility that insertion happens not at cursor should
not be discarded right away: perhaps it makes sense to users in some
situations.  (I'm not saying that the situations you are discussing are
such cases.)