Beginners: visual mark?

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Beginners: visual mark?
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 23:49:47 +0100

Hi,

I work with many beginners in Emacs these days and they give me really
valuable feedback. Today, I was talking about marking regions with mouse
and about mark and point.

One of many questions that repeated too many times was: "Why the mark is
not visually presented in the buffer? Point is, so why not (the last)
mark?"

My answer was, you can always use C-x C-x (because I use it) or use
transient-mark-mode which will be described later. But this was not
satisfactory to them :-) So I ask: Do we have any way right now to see
where the mark (and only mark, not the region as a whole) is permanently?
--
Pavel Janík

It's an editor, a programming environment, a mail and news reader, a
shrink, and a way of life.
                  -- Eli Zaretskii in gnu.emacs.help about Emacs