Re: Question about copy-region-as-kill

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: Question about copy-region-as-kill
Date: 07 Apr 2002 00:43:36 -0500

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 23:58, Miles Bader wrote:
> Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:
> > That's what I thought at first, too...but I've personally *never*
> > encountered a situation in which I've wanted to use the overlay API.
>
> What can I say?  I have encountered many such situations.

I admit I think that some must exist, or else this issue would have come
up a long time ago.  Anyways, this is mainly orthogonal to my original
point, which is that I've very often wanted buffer-specific text
properties.  And if those exist, I imagine there is a situation in which
someone would want to manipulate (non buffer-specific) text properties
as separate objects, like overlays.

I guess all I can do is assert that an XEmacs-style extent mechanism
would make a lot more sense to me, personally.

I explained the reasons behind my frustration with text properties and
overlays with respect to ibuffer in that discussion with Richard; if he
gives me permission to put it up somewhere, then maybe you could see
where I'm coming from.