shell-quote-argument: make it behave as if on Unix?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: shell-quote-argument: make it behave as if on Unix?
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:46:37 +0200

The Tramp package sends commands to a remote Unix host.  These
commands sometimes include filenames, so I pass those through
shell-quote-argument.

But if the local Emacs is running on Windows, then
shell-quote-argument produces filenames which are correct for
Windows, and not for Unix.  But the filenames will be used on the
remote Unix host.

Is there a designed-in facility for telling shell-quote-argument to
behave as if on Unix, even if Emacs is running on Windows?

Or is shell-quote-argument the wrong function to use, altogether?

(Right now, I'm binding system-type before invoking
shell-quote-argument, but I'm afraid that is the wrong thing to do.
Also, I have to wait for a Windows user to check whether it works.)

kai
--
Silence is foo!