Re: Improving communication between GNU Emacs and XEmacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Improving communication between GNU Emacs and XEmacs
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:09:28 -0400

>     This is an unsubstantiated claim, and it doesn't get better with
>     repetition---many XEmacs maintainers have signed papers (including
>     myself), and if you have questions about authorship, you need only
>     ask.
>
> You proposed cooperation, so I thought we were having a civil
> conversation,

His answer was quite civil, I believe.  He just pointed out that
he knows about those problems tracking authorship and that his
proposal is hence just about agreeing on principle to try and
cooperate within the bounds of what is possible and to try to improve
those bounds.

I think the reason he came this way is because there is a feeling within
the XEmacs community (or so I believe) that the Emacs development has
generally been opposed to cooperation (even in the absence of any legal
obstacle).  Whether this feeling is justified or not is of course irrelevant.
All that matters is that we make it clear on both sides that we consider
cooperation as something desirable.

I think this is very desirable indeed.  I have been reading the
xemacs-beta list for a while and I hope some XEmacs developers can find
the time to follow the emacs-devel list as well.

If the willingness to cooperate is clear, then we will find ways to
cooperate in various occasions.  Those can be minor and small for a start.

        Stefan