Re: init_buffer PWD fix

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: init_buffer PWD fix
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 00:01:20 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:53:47 +0300 (IDT)
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>
> > PWD is unreliable on all platforms, but Emacs works around the problem
> > with a similar method on all platforms by statting $PWD and ".", and
> > using $PWD only if stat results agree.  What is the problem with
> > this workaround on Windows?
>
> The problem is probably what you'd guess: the inode comparison doesn't
> work on Windows as well as it does on Posix platforms...

If memory serves, that problem occurs on some Windows platforms but
not on others, so any workaround should apply only to Windows
platforms where 'stat' is broken.  Fcopy_file uses the conditional
`#if !defined (DOS_NT) || __DJGPP__ > 1' before inspecting st_ino;
would that be appropriate here too?

> But even so, I still don't see how this would cause a failure.

If 'stat' is broken, then Emacs can think that $PWD is correct even
when it is not.