Re: C-l while in menu?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: C-l while in menu?
Date: 22 Apr 2002 21:59:45 +0900

address@hidden (Pavel Janík) writes:
> /* FIXME: Should F10 enter to menu?  Which one?  File?  */

Since it has done that for a long time in emacs, it seems like we
should keep F10; the first menu seems like the right one

> /* FIXME: Space should toggle toggleable menu item but not remove the menu
>    so you can toggle the next one without entering the menu again.  */

Yes.  That's what Gnome does, and it seems very convenient.

> 2. Some GUI programs use ESC to get rid of the whole menu, some use it to
>    get rid of the last pane of sub menus. What should we do. I have chosen
>    the first one, because Left can be used to get the second one. OK?
>
> /* FIXME: Should ESC close one level of menu structure or the complete menu?
> */

Mozilla only closes the current sub-menu, whereas Gnome seems to close
all menu panes on ESC.  Personally I think Mozilla's behavior is better
-- it's less severe, so causes less annoyance if you hit ESC
accidentally, and anway, you can easily hit ESC multiple times to get
rid of the whole menu (whereas the reverse is obviously not true!).

-Miles
--
.Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.