Re: init_buffer PWD fix

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: init_buffer PWD fix
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:05:04 +0300 (IDT)

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, MIYASHITA Hisashi wrote:

> (1) Generate a proper inode value as well as for the directory
> (2) At the startup, set "PWD" env. to the value of getcwd().
> (3) Use always getcwd() when WINDOWSNT(or DOS_NT?) is defined.

No, please don't use DOS_NT: it is defined in the MS-DOS port as well,
where `stat' does return a unique inode for a directory.

> As for (1), generate fake_inode from the value of FileIndex obtained
> by GetFileInformationByHandle().

You cannot do that for directories, because GetFileInformationByHandle
needs a handle, and Windows doesn't let you open a directory and get a
file handle for it.

> But on WINDOWSNT, I'd like to apply (3) change too because on W32
> we don't have to (or should not) take such rather profound intentions
> into considerations.

I disagree.  I think it's very important that the Windows port tries to
return more-or-less meaningful inode numbers, so that we don't have to
devise a special kludge for each Emacs primitive that needs an inode.