Re: Bad configure check

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: Bad configure check
Date: 26 Apr 2002 15:28:48 -0400

On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 13:38, Richard Stallman wrote:

> You could always use try using chown when installing
> update-game-score.  If it fails, don't make it setuid.
>
> When a game runs, it can check at run-time whether the program is
> setuid, and act accordingly.

The tricky thing about this is that update-game-score.c gets compiled
with different options depending on whether or not we have access to a
shared game directory.

If update-game-score is setuid, it must always store scores in the
shared game directory; anything else would be a security problem.  If
it's not setuid, then we store scores in the user's home directory.

Hmmm.  I suppose we can solve this problem by making update-game-score
itself check whether it's setuid, and then do the right thing
accordingly...I will investigate doing this.