Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)
Date: 04 May 2002 01:54:13 +0200

>     I think that we should consider adding a few more sub-menues
>     to the Options menu to make more of the built-in functionality
>     of emacs directly selectable:
>
> I am strongly against that, because it embarks on a path of
> duplicating the Custom facilities, one option at a time.

That's ok.  However, for new users, I would like to have something a
little less overwhelming (and easier to browse) than the full-blown
customize interface.

>  We should
> encourage users to use that facility instead.  If it is not good
> enough, we should improve it.

Maybe we could create a "preferences" page which contains toggles for,
say, 25 commonly used options, and also a link to the customize group
for that option.  That would allow novice users to quickly get to
some of the more advanced options of emacs.