Re: Editing the 0x80..0x90 characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Editing the 0x80..0x90 characters
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 08:05:30 +0300 (IDT)

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Currently those coding systems
> decode into (or encode from) ascii + latin-iso8859-5 + eight-bit-control
> + eight-bit-graphic.  The idea is to change it to decode into
> ascii + latin-iso8859-5 + mule-unicode.  So I don't see how the problem
> is mixed character sets is changed.

I thought that the purpose of that part of the change was to make the
situation better, not just modify the charsets into which the text is
decoded.  Sorry if I misunderstood.

> I don't understand anything about cpXXX charsets, so I'm not sure
> how to fix the problems you mentioned earlier.

All you need is to put a plist on them, like this:

  (setplist 'cp850-decode-table
            '(charset latin-iso8859-1 language "Latin-1" offset 160))

(See codepage.el for more details.)  For each cpNNN coding system, Emacs
needs to know the target charset and the associated language
environment.  That's because on the systems that use cpNNN, there's a
system call to get the installed codepage, and Emacs uses that to set up
the correct language environment automatically.

> What do you think of the patch below ?

Can you say a few words about its purpose?  I could figure that out from
the code, but having some description as guidelines would help.  TIA.

> I'm not sure what the koi8-u stuff is about.  I suspect it's also
> meant for ukrainian so the new language environment should maybe
> be "Ukrainian" rather than "Cyrillic-KOI8-U" since that's what
> mule-cmds.el seems to expect for the "uk" locale.

KOI8-U is indeed for the Ukrainian language.  But I don't understand the
last part: what is the importance of calling the language environment
"Ukrainian" rather than "Cyrillic-KOI8-U"?  Is that just to make it
easier for Ukrainian users to understand it's for them, or is there
something else involved?