Re: earn $100 and reduce the Emacs TODO list

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: earn $100 and reduce the Emacs TODO list
Date: 10 May 2002 00:30:11 -0400

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 09:58, Richard Stallman wrote:
> It would be too hard for us to accept a small donation with
> conditions.  If you were donating $10,000, we could work out with you
> what project it should be spent on and how.  For $100, though, we just
> can't afford to keep track.

Ok, that's too bad.  No big deal, though.

> As for the XRender feature, I don't know what that does.

Well, XRender is a different rendering model for X, with different API.
Why we want it is it automatically renders text using FreeType, which
supports text antialiasing (i.e. softening jagged edges in text).  Here
is a screenshot of XEmacs using XRender:

http://www.intrepid.com/~vladimir/xemacs_aa.png

The XRender "homepage" as such is here:

http://www.eax.com/render/

Since more and more free software applications are supporting XRender
(Mozilla/Galeon, and all of GNOME2), I've rather gotten used to it, and
having it in Emacs would be great.

> I guess the main question is, how much change is required?

A fair amount, as far as I can tell.  A lot of the code in xfaces.c,
particuarly, would have to be touched, I think.  This isn't at the top
of my TODO list, but I'll probably work on it in my spare time, since it
might be fun to learn Xlib (or maybe not :) )...