Re: German tutorial fix

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: German tutorial fix
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 23:30:23 -0600 (MDT)

Using control characters is more efficient than using the arrow keys,
so I don't think we should stop teaching people to use them.  However,
people are right that users will probably understand what the arrow
keys do, which means we can use them to explain the control
characters.

We also should tell users why we recommend the control characters.

Here's the change I am thinking of making.  Any suggestions?

*** TUTORIAL.~1.49.~    Tue Apr 23 12:14:20 2002
--- TUTORIAL    Sat May 18 21:36:22 2002
***************
*** 50,55 ****
--- 50,59 ----
     Find the cursor again and notice that the same text
     is near the cursor now.

+ You can also use the PageUp and PageDn keys to do scrolling, if your
+ terminal has them, but you can edit more efficiently if you use C-v
+ and M-v.
+

  * BASIC CURSOR CONTROL
  ----------------------
***************
*** 57,67 ****
  Moving from screenful to screenful is useful, but how do you
  move to a specific place within the text on the screen?

! There are several ways you can do this.  The most basic way is to use
! the commands C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n.  Each of these commands moves the
! cursor one row or column in a particular direction on the screen.
! Here is a table showing these four commands and the directions they
! move:

                          Previous line, C-p
                                  :
--- 61,70 ----
  Moving from screenful to screenful is useful, but how do you
  move to a specific place within the text on the screen?

! There are several ways you can do this.  You can use the arrow keys,
! but it's more efficient to keep your hands in the standard position
! and use the commands C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n.  These characters
! are equivalent to the four arrow keys, like this:

                          Previous line, C-p
                                  :
***************
*** 75,84 ****
     using C-n or C-p.  Then type C-l to see the whole diagram
     centered in the screen.

! You'll probably find it easy to think of these by letter: P for
! previous, N for next, B for backward and F for forward.  These are the
! basic cursor positioning commands, and you'll be using them ALL the
! time, so it would be of great benefit if you learn them now.

     using C-n or C-p.  Then type C-l to see the whole diagram
     centered in the screen.

! You'll find it easy to remember these letters by words they stand for:
! P for previous, N for next, B for backward and F for forward.  You
! will be using these basic cursor positioning commands all the time.