Re: strange keymap bugs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: strange keymap bugs
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 19:28:04 -0400

> I'm hoping a keymap guru can track this one down for me:
>
> emacs -q --no-site-file
> M-x ibuffer
>
> Then go to the "Operate" menu.  On my system, the option which should be
> labeled "Kill" (`ibuffer-do-delete') is instead labeled "Apply Patch".

I cannot reproduce this here.

> And, even stranger, move point up to the "[ Default ]" filter group
> name, and pull down the "Operate" menu again.  On my system, the
> toplevel "Operate", "View", and "Mark" menus now each contain themselves
> as two submenus!
>
> The "[ Default ]" filter group name *does* have a `keymap' property; but
> this is just supposed to override those specific entries in the buffer's
> local map, correct?

Emacs does not really know how to merge two menus that way.
What you have to do instead is have your text-local map hide the
buffer-local menu and replace it with another one (which has
the same name but another binding).
This is a limitation of the current code in keyboard.c, AFAIK.

        Stefan