Re: kill ring menu

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 20 May 2002 16:32:00 -0400

On Sun, 2002-05-19 at 21:10, Miles Bader wrote:

> I note that you seem to have ignored the suggestion that there be a
> layer on top of whatever you're doing now, that just adds a
> `font-lock-function' variable which font-lock calls to do the _entire
> job_ of turning on or off fontification (presumably this would default
> to using the normal font-lock mechanism).

There have been a lot of different suggestions, each with quite
different ramifications.  I didn't intentionally ignore that suggestion.

> Doing it this way, the font-lock interface is entirely separate from the
> mechanism, without precluding other changes to make font-lock more
> useful.  Info and comint, at least, could easily support such a function
> using their current ad-hoc fontification machinery.

Ok, sure.  I think the category approach (and the `font-lock-face'
approach) should support Info and comint well enough, but if you think
it's a good idea to also have `font-lock-function', then we should add
it as well.