Re: [usability] mouse-1 for performing actions?

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: [usability] mouse-1 for performing actions?
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 17:14:59 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Is he referring to some specific drag-and-drop protocol?

Implicitly.  Like GNOME supports Emacs' kill-and-yank features, Emacs
sould be modified/enhanced to match the mouse behavior on GNOME.

address@hidden (Kai writes:

> Cut-and-paste is functionally equivalent to drag-and-drop, but the
> interface is different.  I just tried nedit, it supports
> drag-and-drop: you mark something with mouse-1, then press mouse-2 on
> it, then drag the mouse and you will see the text move in real-time,
> as you move the mouse.  Releasing the mouse button then finishes the
> move.
>
> Drag-and-drop gives the user more feedback about what happens.

Drag-and-Drop is especially useful when you want to move files from one
directory to the other or messages from one folder to the other.  Or
URLs from an Emacs buffer to the X root window.

--
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o