Re: Reading directory names with read-file-name

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Reading directory names with read-file-name
Date: 24 May 2002 00:44:40 +0200

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> > My concern is that existing file-name-handlers for read-file-name
> > are written to match the current API for that function, and
> > they are expected to "mirror" the behaviour of read-file-name
> > for any given set of arguments.
>
> I must say that the ange-ftp code confuses me:

Me too :-)

> it creates a function ange-ftp-real-read-file-name-internal
> which it doesn't use.  It also announces ange-ftp-read-file-name-internal
> as the handler for read-file-name-internal but never defines the
> function and all this while read-file-name-internal does not check
> file-name-handlers (and neither does read-file-name).

I'm amazed....  I've looked at that code at least 10 times
over the last few days --- and I still managed to overlook
this (trusting the code in ange-ftp.el).  Thanks!

> So I believe that your fear is just based on some left-over, unused
> and incomplete code in ange-ftp.el but is otherwise unfounded.

That's good!  I'll see what I can do to make this work.

However, one of the candidates for an improvement could be
file-name-all-completions adding a third PREDICATE arg.
However, I think that's still not feasible for the reasons
I mentioned in my previous mail.