Re: display question: should ^N and \NNN widths be fixed?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: display question: should ^N and \NNN widths be fixed?
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 08:09:28 +0300 (IDT)

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

> some of these (sub)tasks can (and probably should) be done concurrently.
> that's not noted here explicitly, but should be easy enough to figure
> out for anyone who wants to join in.

I have one (rather vague and potentially unhelpful ;-) comment: when you
work on this, please keep in mind that some day Emacs will support
bidirectional display (for languages that are written right to left),
where advancing by screen position does not necessarily mean you advance
by buffer position as well.  That is, if glyph G1 is displayed before
glyph G2, it does not necessarily mean that the buffer position of the
character displayed as G1 is before that of G2.

The current code in indent.c assumes that buffer positions increase
monotonically with screen positions.  I'm not saying that you should do
my job of lifting that limitation, but please keep this in mind when you
design and code the new indent.c, so that changing it for bidi Emacs
would not be harder than it is today.

> logistical questions: is it ok to make a branch in cvs?

I agree with Miles that it is best not to make a branch at all, but
install your changes in parts, so that each part could be tested without
breaking the main trunk.