Re: Problem with Emacs 21.3 pretest

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Problem with Emacs 21.3 pretest
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 13:08:12 -0400

>     When I changed all the `defconst' to `defvar' this problem disappeared.
>     I still wonder why does `parse_menu_item' change the values of my vars
> (constants).
>
> The change is due to caching the keyboard equivalents of these menu
> items.  That is done so menu redisplay can be fast.

Note that I'm less and less sure that this caching is still important.
I have turned it off here (or rather I have changed the code to always
refresh the cache) and it's not noticeably slower (on my 266Mhz PII).

The worst case is with X-Symbol which has an enormous keymap (because
of two input methods implemented as keymaps: one in a menu and another
bound to C-=) where the menu takes about 1s to come up.

        Stefan