Re: Emacs mode for GDB - 2 questions

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Emacs mode for GDB - 2 questions
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 22:16:15 +0100

Richard Stallman writes:

 >     2) I want to format the displayed expressions more tidily. In particular
 >     I would like to show array slices and the header line would be a good
 >     place to do this e.g.
 >
 >     ------------main::a [start:end:step]---------------
 >
 >     Where start, end and step are in editable fields. Could emacs be given
 > this
 >     feature easily ?
 >
 > Precisely what feature?

Sorry, I should be clearer. I want a default format for arrays like :

---main::a [::]---- (line generated on creation of frame/window)

a[0] = 1.0
a[1] = 2.0
a[2] = 3.0
a[3] = 4.0
a[4] = 4.0
a[5] = 4.0
a[6] = 4.0
etc

and to be able to specify slices e.g every other element of the first six :

---main::a [0:5:2]----

a[0] = 1.0
a[2] = 3.0
a[4] = 4.0

With a large array, if the top line was in the buffer it would scroll out of
view. I would like to be able to enter the three digits (0,5,2 in this case)
into the header line.

If the effort cannot be justified, I'll think of something else.

Nick