Re: NT Emacs make problem..

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: NT Emacs make problem..
Date: 10 Jun 2002 00:44:05 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> > What else do people need to know [to build Emacs from CVS]?

I work on other project where I need to use CVSREAD=y

This means that I have to checkout (not update)

        cvs co ...
        chmod -R u+w .
        ./configure
        make bootstrap

However, if you build in a different directory (the details are in INSTALL),
you can avoid "polluting" the checked out sources with the build.

> And then, people might be interested in a fast method that does as
> little as possible after a CVS update.  I think that it is possible
> to be even faster than "make all"?

I typically use the following to update and compile:

        cvs up
        (cd lisp; make recompile)
        make

PS:  I suggested to create an INTRO_CVS file a while back which should
contain just this kind of information; maybe you can grep through the
emacs-devel archives to see what was suggested back then.