Re: Building emacs with and without X -- packaging question.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Building emacs with and without X -- packaging question.
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:51:49 +0200

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:42:05 +0300 (IDT), Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> What maintenance burden did you have in mind?  All we need is make sure
> make-docfile is invoked with the same list of files on all platforms.

Hmm, I'm not sure, but I've seen that DOC data is extracted sometimes
from .el files and others from .elc, and from .c files in Windows, but .o
files in GNU/Linux...

OTOH, there are .elc and .o/.obj files which conceptually cannot be
built on Windows, because they require support programs or libraries not
present, etc. It sounds complicated because we'll have to maintain lists
and know for each environment if the data must be extracted from .el or
.elc, .o/.obj or .c or whatever.

Also, I think in Unix/Linux environments the list of files can be
perhaps automatically maintained, but Windows shells are pathetic and
the list is manually constructed.

But I digress. If you think it's better, we can certainly try it and see
if is works...

> The interesting question is why are doc strings from ucs-tables seen on
> Unix and GNU/Linux systems, but not on Windows?

I don't understand. Are you asking why the doc strings are not seen on
Windows, or why lisp/international/ucs-tables is not used to generate
DOC on Windows?

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u