Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer
Date: 19 Jun 2002 15:10:51 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> >     > Thanks.  Could you make it pass through the properties, though?
> >
> >     This can be done, but do we really need it?
> >
> > I think it is a bug not to do that.
>
> Ok, I'll fix it.

Well, it turns out to be a bigger problem than I expected to do so.  I
have most of the functionality working now, but I still have a big
problem with faces.

Consider the buffer name shown in the mode line.
It is shown in bold, but otherwise uses the mode-line face.

In the display engine, this is implemented by creating a new unnamed
face which using mode-line as the base font, but with the (:weight
bold) attribute added to it.

The problem is that there is no named face which has this appearence,
so I cannot simply put a (face mode-line-bold) property on the string
returned by format-mode-line.

Instead, I'll have to create a face specification to match the actual
appearence of the buffer name.  I guess it can be done, but it seems a
lot of work to achieve a simple goal.

Any ideas how to simplify this task?

Maybe we should reconsider whether we really want a 100% accurate
appearence.

Can we perhaps accept that face attributes in the mode-line are
ignored when we copy the mode-line to a string, i.e. the whole string
will simply have the mode-line or header-line face property?

That's what my current code does...

BTW, it also copies the help-echo text, but the mouse doesn't work as
the help describes, since the mouse binding is like [mode-line
mouse-1], and it obviously doesn't work inside a buffer's text area.