Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer
Date: 22 Jun 2002 01:56:31 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
>
> > > The problem is that there is no named face which has this appearence,
> > > so I cannot simply put a (face mode-line-bold) property on the string
> > > returned by format-mode-line.
> >
> > Any reason why you can't use (face (mode-line bold)) ?
>
> Not anymore :-)

Ok, I have changed format-mode-line to return a propertized string
(changes are not committed yet), but the "face merging" doesn't always
give the same result as the actual mode line:

This combination works (*Help* is bold):

(insert '#("-1:%%  *Help*  ..."
         7 13 (face (mode-line :weight bold))))

but this doesn't (*Help* isn't bold):

(insert '#("-1:%%  *Help*  ..."
         7 13 (face (mode-line-inactive :weight bold))))

I haven't investigated this further, but it could be related to
mode-line-inactive being derived from another face...?

Also, there are some visual artifacts in the following example; there
are small white lines between the bold and non-bold sections:

(insert '#("-1:**  *scratch*        ..."
         1 7 (face mode-line)
         7 19 (face (mode-line (:weight bold)))
         19 22 (face mode-line)))

In any case, I'm going to commit my changes tomorrow (or so)
-- then we'll have to look into the above issues later...