Re: address@hidden: modeline doesn't divulge buffer will go bye bye]

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: address@hidden: modeline doesn't divulge buffer will go bye bye]
Date: 25 Jun 2002 15:54:26 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

   Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> writes:
   > So perhaps we need a new variable that controls this?  "buffers are
   > documents" or something like that.  :)  I vote this be default t, to
   > protect newbies.

   That would be reasonable, as long as it's easy to turn off.

Looks like a good idea for new users, and easy to turn off for experts.

   [But it might result in a lot of complaints/spurious bug reports,
   depending on how many people use scratch buffers a lot like I do;
   there's a _big_ community of long-time emacs users that can get
   riled up by even seemingly innocuous changes]

Maybem, if the variable is non nil, when Emacs exits it writes something
along the lines of:

- the buffers a, b, c, d were not saved.  They are not associated to any
  file.  If you want to save them at once, you can answer `y' to the
  next question.  If you answer `n', the contents of those buffers will
  be lost forever.  If you don't want to see this message in the future,
  you can set the variable never-ask-me-stupid-questions to t.

  Save buffers not associated with a file before exit? (y/n)