Re: No calc in pretest?

From: Jon Cast
Subject: Re: No calc in pretest?
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 15:05:31 -0500

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> > "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> >> If it's more convenient to name the current trunk 22.0, then I
> >> think it should be done.

> > No one has presented a good reason why it would be more convenient
> > either.

> One reason is that we don't have to update :version fields and
> documentation if there is a well defined versioning scheme.

The following:

x.y.0                   is a release from head
x.y.z    (1 <= z < 50)  is a bug-fix release
x.y.z.90 (1 <= z < 50)  is a bug-fix pre-test
x.y.z    (50 <= z < 70) is CVS
x.y.z    (70 <= z < 99) is a head pre-test

is well-defined.  Is that not sufficient for your purposes?

<snip>

> But there are major changes in CVS HEAD, that is the whole point of
> calling it Emacs 22, which I think is a good idea.  Releasing CVS
> HEAD as 21.4 would be a mistake, as users would think "Pah, emacs
> 21.4, I already have 21.2 and it works, I won't bother upgrading.".

I don't think the changes that have been made are `major'.  `Major'
means something internally important; the changes between 21.3 and
21.4 are mostly external and either cosmetic or pure additions (i.e.,
everything in 21.1 is un-affected).  There are `many' changes, but we
expect that, right?

> What is major and what isn't major is not something objectively
> true.  Many users probably don't care if Emacs uses MULE or Unicode
> internally even though it is major work, and also many users regards
> window transparency as something major altough it is little work.

Well, not unless RMS says something is major or not.  He's the
maintainer, I think the determination of what is major should be left
up to him.

> Having faster development cycles has always been one of my gripes
> with emacs, new features shouldn't have to wait 3-4 years.

And calling the next release 22.0 fixes this how?

Jon Cast