Re: No calc in pretest?

From: Jon Cast
Subject: Re: No calc in pretest?
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 15:30:44 -0500

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) wrote:
> Alternatively, we could adapt the linux numbering where odd-minor
> are development versions and even-minor are releases, e.g.

>         22.1.1  -- CVS development version for 22.2
>         22.1.90 -- pretest for 22.2

>         22.2.1 -- initial release
>         22.2.2 -- bug-fix

>         22.3.1 -- CVS development version for 22.4
>         22.3.90 -- pretest

>         22.4.1 -- release

I don't think this is necessary, and it might be too similar to Linux
to avoid confusing people---the second number in a Linux version
number is practically a major version number; we don't want to give
the impression that's true for Emacs.

<snip>

> The suggested numbering scheme would also allow us to make
> development snapshots like 22.1.1, 22.1.2, 22.1.3 etc. to be
> announced on the pretesters list for interrim feedback during
> development for those interested.  [I'm not implying that we
> _should_ do this, just that we _can_ do it].

We could also call the development snapshots 21.4.50, 21.4.51, etc.
Even better would be 21.4.50.yyyymmdd, IMO (also, yyyymmdd makes it
abundantly clear it's a snapshot, even to people who don't understand
the Linux numbering scheme.)

> --
> Kim F. Storm <address@hidden> http://www.cua.dk

Jon Cast