Re: Current Tramp plans

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Current Tramp plans
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 13:11:38 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> If I compare this to ange-ftp on a fresh emacs -q, I see two
> advanges to ange-ftp over tramp:

Maybe there is a misunderstanding involved.  First of all, Tramp can
forward requests to Ange-FTP -- you just need to use "ftp" as the
method name.  Secondly, the default behavior needs to be twiddled
such that Ange-FTP is used by default in cases where it makes sense.

However, I'm not sure what the new default behavior should be.
Therefore, I made no effort to make sure that Tramp forwards many
requests to Ange-FTP.  Instead, I was kind of hoping you folks would
try different settings and then tell me what you like :-)

One approach would be to do (setq tramp-default-method "ftp").  Then,
filenames that look like Ange-FTP filenames continue to invoke
Ange-FTP, even with (tramp-handle-ange-ftp).  Users would type, say,
C-x C-f /address@hidden:/path/to/file RET to invoke Tramp with the `sm'
method.

But this does not deal with the filename completion bug.  Hm.  I
never saw that one.  I think it comes from partial completion, but
I'm not sure.  Let me investigate.  Thanks for the bug report.

kai