Re: ehelp woes, or why I hate a module that I love so much

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: ehelp woes, or why I hate a module that I love so much
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 17:20:37 +0200

On Thu, 04 Jul 2002 16:00:13 +0200, Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yes, you are right, but there seem to be several advantages of using
> guile (threads, i18n?, re-use between other applications, GTK
> bindings, etc) and I strongly doubt that implementing all those things
> in emacs is easier than switching to guile.

Well, you said that threads would be the main advantage, user-wise, of
the Emacs/Guile integration.

i18n is certainly a big plus, but I don't think Guile will make that
*much* easier: on one hand, because you have to maintain elisp
compatibility and supply the current .el files, so they won't be
magically translated/internationalized. On the other, because there's
still the C part (though that can be gettextized, it seems). The bigger
problem to internationalize Emacs doesn't seem to be the sheer amount of
manual work, but coming with a practical scheme (no pun intended ;) to
do the adaptation.

> I perceive the situation the same.  What happened with the Guile Emacs
> project?  It seems to have died after the 0.5 release.

From the mailing-list at
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/guile-emacs/2002-q1/msg00003.html:

>From: Keisuke Nishida <knishida at sky dot sannet dot ne dot jp>

<snip>

> I have stopped working on guile-emacs.  My idea was to embed
> Guile into Emacs, which was not a good idea.
>
> Later on I started a new project, called emacs-guile ;), which
> intended to use Guile from Emacs as an external language processor.
> With emacs-guile, you can use Guile's module libraries from Emacs
> by importing them into the Lisp world.
>
> See the following package for more info:
>
>   http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gemacs/emacs-guile-0.2.tar.gz
>
> Not me, but Ken Raeburn is working on a project that is replacing
> Emacs's core evaluator by Guile's one.

Ken Raeburn has a page on Guile-based Emacs
(http://www.mit.edu/~raeburn/guilemacs/),
but it was last updated on 1999-07-07. Ken is subscribed to this list,
so I suppose he can comment on it.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u